The check engine light shouldn’t be a reason to panic, but it’s definitely a reason to have your vehicle checked out right away. If your check engine light is on, let the trained professionals at Mr. Transmission® Milex® Fayetteville diagnose the problem. We use the same technology dealerships use, but we’ll do the analysis free of charge!
What the Check Engine Light Means
When your check engine light comes on, it means your vehicle’s on-board diagnostics have identified a problem with one or more important systems. While it could be something as simple as a gas cap that isn't secured, it could also be something as critical as a failed oxygen sensor or a clogged catalytic converter. If it’s something serious, continuing to drive your vehicle could cause serious damage to your engine or exhaust system.
Here are the major systems that could cause the check engine light to come on:
- Vacuum System: Loss of pressure in your vacuum system will trigger the check engine light. Pressure loss can come from a variety of sources, including a loose gas cap, bad vacuum hoses, or a faulty exhaust gas recirculation valve.
- Oxygen Sensor: In addition to extreme loss of fuel economy, a bad O2 sensor can also cause major damage to your spark plugs and catalytic converter.
- Ignition System: Your vehicle’s ECU monitors the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and ignition coil. A problem with these systems will cause fuel economy and performance issues, as well as trigger the check engine light.
- Catalytic Converter: One of the worst problems to continue to operate your vehicle with is a bad catalytic converter. Doing so can cause your engine to run hot, which can lead to internal engine damage. Your vehicle can also lose power, as well as fuel economy. A bad catalytic converter can also cause a failure at your next emissions test
- Mass Airflow Sensor: Like the oxygen sensor, the mass airflow sensor must function properly to get optimal performance and fuel economy. Also a bad MAF sensor can damage spark plugs, the catalytic converter, and even the O2 sensor.
Make a Check Engine Light Appointment Today
In Fayetteville and the surrounding areas, if your check engine light is on, don’t risk causing further damage to your engine and exhaust system. Call Mr. Transmission Milex Fayetteville today at (770) 719-7676. Our service professionals will diagnose your vehicle and provide a free estimate on necessary repairs.